Thursday, March 15, 2007

Goodbye, Sophie

Last night, after we got back from the grocery store, I had two missed calls on my cellphone. I didn't recognize the number, and the caller had hit "1" to page me. I called back, and the man, Frank, introduced himself to me. He said that he had some bad news. I immediately got nervous.

He said that he was out very late on Monday night looking for his lost cat. While he was out, he found a dog that had been hit by a car. After seeing our posters, he was sure that it was Sophie. Being a very nice man, and considering that he was looking for a lost pet himself, he said that he couldn't leave here there. So, he picked her up and took her home and put her in a box to bury.

As it turns out, Frank lives just down the street from us. He asked me if I wanted him to bring her to us. He offered to keep her and bury her himself. I said no, that we would take care of it, and he said that he would bring her over.

DJ and I went out and bought a shovel. Then we met Frank and put Sophie in the backyard under a tree. We wanted her there with us - in our backyard, forever a part of our family.

I will never forget yesterday. I will always miss Sophie - "yittle Soph." I will never forget how the kindness of a stranger offered us some peace and comfort on a very difficult day. And I will never forget crying with my husband over the loss of a beloved pet.

Goodbye, Sophie. We will miss you and love you always.

9 comments:

Bobby said...

I'm so sorry to hear it Laura. Carly and I will miss Sophie too.

LauraH said...

Thanks, Robbie. Thank you guys for calling last night. That was really sweet.

Sarah said...

oh laura, i'm so sorry to hear this - she was so flipping sweet and always seemed to be up for whatever fun stuff was going on around her. i'm so glad you and dj are in this together. xoxo

ice said...

She'll be missed for sure and was indeed very lucky to have you guys as owners to make these last years great for her.

I'm sorry. Hope you're doing ok.

LauraH said...

Thank you guys. You are all so sweet!!

psmee said...

lovely tribute, lmh. i will never forget your funny soph loaf.

jd said...

Laura! You and Deeg are in my thoughts. I'm so sorry.

cwg said...

i am so so sorry. i know how much it hurts to lose your pet.

Unknown said...

la la, i just read this! :-( i'm so sorry to hear this. sophie was a lucky little dog to have you guys. you treated her like a queen.
i know she will miss be missed.

the story about your neighbor was touching. he sounds really kind.

um, to help you cope with the pain, do you want to own an annoying feline?

take care, girl. i'll give you a call when i'm in-town this week.

love
licky