Thursday, August 03, 2006

My New Favorite Drink

On Wednesday night, Hammy and I went to a friend's birthday drop-in at Trader Vic's in the bottom of the Hilton Hotel downtown. I had never been to one before, but it is a very cool bar. The tiki atmosphere and unique drinks made for a very cool birthday! We also had a good time riding the numerous elevators up and down while we tried to find the place.

While we were there, I found my new favorite drink. I had read several books where the Pimm's Cup was mentioned, and I had always wondered what one tasted like. I had also heard about the drink in relation to Wimbledon, and it sounded delicious.

My first taste confirmed my suspicions. The drink looked a little bit like a bloody mary, but it didn't taste like it at all. It was sweet and girly - just the way I like it!

Here is a recipe I found online. I highly recommed it!

  • Fill a Collins glass with ice
  • Mix one part Pimms Cup No. 1 with two parts lemonade
  • Stir or shake
  • Top off with club soda, or use lemon-lime soda for a sweeter drink
  • Stir lightly, but do NOT shake again
  • Garnish with a slice of kirby cucumber; lemon wedge optional

OPTIONS:

  • If not lemonade is at hand, use Sprite or 7-Up
  • To make with ginger ale, use plenty of lemons
  • Mint, apple & orange can be added
  • For the coup de grace, use borage leaves
  • If no

5 comments:

psmee said...

ooh let's drink those. (as soon as my hangover from yesterday wears off). great name, fun ingredients! but what kind of liquor is "pimms cup," what's a kirby cuke, and can you eat borage leaves?

jd said...

ohhhh... i've wanted to try one deperately since hearing a piece on npr about the thousands served at wimbeldon.

(psmee, kirby cukes are so yummy to eat out of hand. they're perfectly snack-sized!)

LauraH said...

Jen, I love your little photo that pops up when you comment!

SA, I have no idea what kirby cukes are, but they served the drink with these little mini cucumber slices. It was so good. I say we all party with a pimms cup in hand from now on!

Anonymous said...

i had my first (and second, and third...) pimms cup a couple months ago in philly - a truly delectable concoction, but i always forget about them! psmee, pimms is a top secret recipe, but it's some kind of fermented herb mixture, which sounds disgusting, but is actually delicious. the stuff is brown like tea... so brit, so refreshing!

caddy said...

pims #1 cups are sooooo good! the manhattan usually has them in the summer and they are so addictive!